Monday, March 3, 2008

Who knew that history could hit so close to home?

Where is the only place that you can see dinosaurs, bears, and alligators all in the same vacinity? THE ALABAMA MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY! Okay, that may not be the only place where you can see all of that, but it's the only place on campus. I must say that it was a refreshing experience going to the Natural History Museum even though I'm not really into history. I learned a lot about Alabama's history that I didn't know. I must say that the part that shocked me the most was the meteorite that hit the woman, and it shocked me the most that it occured in Alabama. WOW! I might need to watch out! LOL! But the Natural History Museum on campus is the only museum that houses such a tremendous thing. Now, that in itself is enough to make you want to do check out the Natural History Museum. Along with meteorites, the Alabama Museum of Natural History also has a huge replication of a dinosaur. It made me kind of glad that I didn't live around the time of the dinosaurs because that thing was HUGE!! I mean if he had of been alive he could have killed me just by stepping on me. They also have a replication of the dinosaur called "Tylosaurus". Evidently the Tylosaurus remains were found in the Tombigbee, which is the river that runs through my hometown of Demopolis. That fact kind of shocked me because I never knew that dinosaurs roamed so close to my hometown. Another thing that the Natural History Museum has is a lot of different animals. They have two bears, an alligator, skunks, armadillos, birds, bugs, etc. I was really scared when I walked in because I wasn't expecting a huge bear to be at the door. Then, on the second floor, there is another bear behind a glass window. He's dead, but I swear I thought he was going to jump out and get me! But overall, I must say that the Natural History Museum was a pretty different experience. I never knew history hit so close to home!

No comments: